Chicken Biryani Recipe: A Hearty and Flavorful Pakistani Delight
Biryani is a popular Pakistani dish that has been enjoyed for centuries. It is a one-pot meal that is a combination of aromatic spices, fragrant basmati rice, and succulent meat or vegetables. Among the many varieties of biryani, chicken biryani is the most loved and savored dish in Pakistan. It is a perfect blend of spices, rice, and chicken, that will tantalize your taste buds with its aroma and flavors. In this article, we will explore a step-by-step recipe to prepare this delicious dish. And try it with your family.
For marinating the chicken:
- 1 kg bone-in chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste
For cooking the rice:
- 2 cups basmati rice, washed and soaked for 30 minutes
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
- Salt to taste
For assembling the biryani:
- 3 medium-sized onions, sliced thinly
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2-3 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1 tsp saffron strands, soaked in 1/4 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fried onions
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Marinating the Chicken:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken pieces, yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and salt to taste.
- Mix well, making sure the chicken pieces are coated well with the marinade.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Cooking the Rice:
- In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the soaked and drained rice, bay leaves, green cardamom pods, black cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon stick, and salt to taste.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid, and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the rice is cooked through and fluffy.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it sit covered for another 10 minutes.
- Assembling the Biryani:
- In a large frying pan, heat the vegetable oil and ghee over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions and sauté until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the onions from the pan and drain them on a paper towel.
- In the same pan, add the marinated chicken and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- In a large pot or baking dish, spread half of the cooked rice evenly.
- Layer the cooked chicken on top of the rice.
- Sprinkle half of the chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chilies, and fried onions on top of the chicken.
- Spread the remaining rice on top of the chicken and level it.
- Sprinkle the remaining chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chilies, and fried onions on top of the rice.
- Pour the saffron milk